White bean stew with burdock

Saturday, April 11, 2009

At the grocery store the other day, the produce guy was bailing out stalks and stalks of burdock which was on sale. I bought several stalks because I just can't resist a freshly stacked pile of anything that might be good. I got home and unloaded the burdock on the counter and realised I had no idea what to do with this root vegetable.

I've heard of burdock before. I knew it was used in Chinese cooking and I've probably had it when my mum makes her herbal concoctions for me, but I've never cooked with it before. A quick look on wikipedia revealed that burdock has many medicinal properties and is widely used in Asian cooking.

The most obvious solution for me was to put it in a stew and it worked out well. The burdock gave my stew an Asian flair and added sweetness to the broth. Great served on a cold day with a big piece of crusty bread.

White Bean Stew with Burdock Recipe


  • 1 cup of white beans
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp minced ginger
  • 1 small potato, diced
  • 1 small carrot, diced
  • 1 cup of leek, sliced
  • 1 cup burdock, diced
  • 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
  • 3-4 cups of stock
  • Toasted pine nuts to garnish (or you could use grated cheese)

Seasoning and oils
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp ghee (optional)
  • crushed red pepper flakes for garnishing
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Directions
  1. The night before, soak white beans in a bowl of lukewarm water overnight.
  2. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium low heat and saute onions until slightly translucent. Add diced potatoes and ginger. Continue to cook until onions have caramalized and potatoes are browned.
  3. Add soaked white beans, carrots, leek, burdock and give a good stir. Then add stock, bay leaf and some salt and pepper . Cover pot and let it simmer until beans are tender. About 1 - 1.5 hours.
  4. When beans are about done, add cabbage and check the seasoning. Allow to simmer for 15 more mins. Turn off heat and let the stew rest for about 20 mins before serving.
Serves 2 - 4 people

4 comments:

Penny Yuen said...

oh so it's called burdock root! I've been trying to find out the name of this root when I first discovered it in a chinese market near my studio where I get my fresh ingredients every morning. In chinese it's called 'wai san'. It makes great soups and stews, taste almost like potatoes but yummier.

Ru said...

I think you might be thinking of Chinese yam (淮山). Is it kind of slimy when it's fresh?

To me, burdock root (niubang 牛蒡) tastes a little bit like turnip.

Penny Yuen said...

i was describing the taste of the cooked version... ya, super slimy when it's fresh. I didn't dare eat it raw, so it tastes like turnip huh?

I just saw some in the supermarket earlier, confirmed burdock not yam. I think my veggie seller got the cantonese name wrong. I googled and apparently in canton it's called 'ngau pong'

Ru said...

Wai san is slimy when fresh. They call it shan yao/huai shan here in Beijing. The Japanese use it fresh as a thickener.

Burdock root tastes a bit like turnip and is slightly bitter when fresh but it isn't slimy.

Haha, I dunno. Maybe they flip meanings when they leave the mainland. The Chinese yam is labeled huai shan and the burdock root is labeled niu bang/ngau pong here.